Here at Compoze we know that the only time for Music Teachers that is busier than concert season is “back to school”. Right now, teachers everywhere are checking rosters, planning lessons, and generally revving up for the new year (some have even already started teaching or never stopped at all!). So here are some quick tips to help make school year 2019-2020 even more awesome:
- Focus on the Positive.
- Try to find three positive things in every day. Even a lesson that tanks completely can have excellent moments or be a valuable learning experience.
- Be a Lifelong Learner
- We believe that students learn best from teachers who are still learning themselves. Try something this year that pushes you out of your pedagogical comfort zone. Never be afraid to try new things!
- Take time for yourself each day.
- This is sometimes easier said than done (like when we can barely find time to use the restroom or eat lunch in between classes), but it is absolutely essential. Even just five minutes a day to breathe deep and clear your thoughts can help revitalize you for another day.
- Embrace the New.
- Teaching is one of the few professions where we get a clean start each year. Even if you are returning to an old position a new year means new classes, new cohorts, occasionally new colleagues, and always new opportunities to grow with your students.
And Most Importantly:
- Remember your Roots
- Every teacher has a reason that they started teaching and a reason that they come back each year. When faced with nearly endless meetings, new mandates, increased workloads, reduced planning time, and budget restrictions, it is easy to lose sight of “why” we started teaching in the first place. Hold on to your drives, and remember that at the end of the day teachers have always and will always make a difference.
Have a great year! (and tell your students to subscribe to ScoreSkills 😉it’s a great way to learn and train in music theory)
- The Team @ Compoze.